Veterans Day events begin Friday, continue into Tuesday
Posted: 11/09/2012 at 1:15 am
By: Truth Staff
Click here to view in a gallery.
Army recruiter Michael Artis places small flags next to headstones at Rice Cemetery during the Veterans Day services last year. Artis works with the Elkhart and Kosciusko Counties Recruiting office and worked with others from his office to pay tribute to area veterans. (Truth Photo By Jennifer Shephard)
Elkhart resident Stephanie Tennant hugs her six-year-old son Maverick Tennant at the conclusion of the Veterans Day events at Rice Cemetery last year. Tennant served in the Army Reserve. (Truth Photo By Jennifer Shephard)
However some events begin as early as today and at least one event is scheduled for Tuesday.
Veterans Day falls on Sunday, but most activities will occur on Monday.
Unlike previous years, Echo Taps, which has previously involved a five mile route leading to Rice Cemetery will be contained within the cemetery.
A large number of musicians are scheduled to participate and upward of 200 people, including veterans and reenactors, are expected to participate. Spectators can park inside the cemetery and should arrive by about 10 a.m. Look for a more in-depth story on Echo Taps in Saturday's edition of The Truth.
Government offices in Elkhart, Goshen, Nappanee and other parts of the county are closed Monday.
The following are a list of Veterans Day events:
• West Side Middle School in Elkhart will celebrate Veterans Day at 8 a.m. today with a service and special guest speaker.
• Following the Rice Cemetery ceremony Sunday, the Elkhart DAV chapter will host a lunch that is open to the public. Lunch begins around noon at their facility at 1205 Middleton Run Road in Elkhart. Home Comfort Systems, a heating and cooling company, will present the DAV with a check at noon. The DAV will also host a mid-afternoon hog roast and fireworks at dusk.
• Greencroft Goshen will have a color guard presentation at 1:30 p.m. today in the Gathering Room at Evergreen Place.
• Goshen's annual Veterans Day service will take place outside the Goshen courthouse at 11 a.m. Monday. The service will be followed by a noon flag ole dedication at the Elks Club on Main Street.
• Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFW) Post 88 is holding a service at Prairie Street Cemetery in Elkhart at 11 a.m. Monday.
• Kent Laudeman, director of the Robert L. Miller Sr. Veteran's Center for Homeless Veterans in South Bend, will speak at 1:30 p.m. at the Middlebury American Legion Post 210. Other Veterans Day activities at Post 210 will take place from 1 p.m. to 6 p.m., featuring food, a 50/50 drawing and donations for the Veteran's Home and a presentation by Miller's Vets, a veteran drill team.
• NorthWood Middle School in Wakarusa is once again hosting a Veteran's Day celebration, at 8 a.m. Monday. The service will feature guest speaker Dan Murphy, a retired Sergeant First Class, and the National Guard will serve as the color guard. The NorthWood 7th and 8th grade choir will provide entertainment. Local veterans and service men and women are invited to attend and should RSVP Mary Ann Krzyzanowski at 862-2710. (The event was initially listed as happening Tuesday. We apologize for the error. It's Monday.)
Because of the holiday, some area businesses and services are changing their hours of operation on Sunday, Monday and Tuesday.
• The U.S. Postal Service is closed on Monday but will have an earlier than usual delivery on Tuesday, Nov. 13. They anticipate letter carriers will be out on their routes much earlier than usual, some delivering mail at about 7 a.m.
• All BMV license branches are closed Saturday through Monday and will resume normal business hours on Tuesday. The myBMV.com website and all automated phone services in the BMV Customer Contact Center will be in service from 2:00 a.m. on Saturday to 12:00 p.m. Sunday. Additionally, BMV services will not be available during this period at BMV partner locations, including AAA Hoosier Motor Club offices.
Several local businesses are honoring veterans with free or discounted meals and deals.
• Free car washes will be available at all Michiana area Drive & Shine locations on Nov. 11. (4340 S. Ironwood Road, South Bend; 5406 N. Main Street, Mishawaka; 2714 Cassopolis St., Elkhart; 400 N. Nappanee St., Elkhart; 1350 U.S. 41 N., Schererville).
• Participating members of the Amish Country Bed & Breakfast Association are offering free one-night stays with breakfast included. Visit www.amishcountry.org for more information.
• Texas Roadhouse restaurants in Elkhart and South Bend will offer veterans a free lunch 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Monday. They have stores at 3015 Brittany Court, Elkhart; and 4635 S. Michigan St., South Bend. (Editor's note -- This date was initially incorrect. The event is Monday.)