Register now for Craft Day in October
Posted: 09/20/2012 at 9:47 am
GOSHEN — Registration is under way for Craft Day, which is scheduled for 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. Oct. 13 at the Elkhart County 4-H Fairgrounds Home and Family Arts Building.
The day includes check-in until 8:30 a.m., followed by morning classes. Lunch is from 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. The afternoon sessions will end by 3 p.m.
Pre-paid registration is required by Oct. 1. Each class is limited to 10 people. Registration forms are available at www.ag.purdue.edu/counties/elkhart.
The craft classes offered are as follows:
• Reed-woven angel. Basic learning class, weaving materials supplied. Participants must bring 10 spring-type clothes pins, an old towel, scissors, a spray bottle, pencil, tape measure, a flat-head screwdriver and a dish pan for soaking the reed. Cost: $25, full day.
• T-shirt scarf/necklace. Use an old T-shirt to create a scarf or necklace. Participants should bring a pair of scissors or mat and rotary cutter and optional embellishments. Colored T-shirts will be available but participants may bring their own. Cost: $20, half day.
• Crocheted “ladder” necklace. Intermediate class learning the “ladder” or “French lace” pattern to create a necklace. Participants must bring a size “J” crochet hook. Cost: $20, afternoon only.
• Grapevine dried floral wreath. Create a wreath with dried flowers, greenery and grapevine. Bring a pair of heavy shears or small pruning shears. Cost: $15, half day.
• T-shirt rug. Use old T-shirts to create a rug. Participants should bring old T-shirts, scissors or a rotary cutter and mat, a knitting needle or skinny pointed item to help poke T-shirt strips into canvas. Rug canvas will be provided. Cost: $20, half day.
• Three-strand bracelet. Participants will learn a basic jewelry-making technique and create a multi-strand bracelet using small beads and other jewelry findings. Participants need to be able to work with small beads or provide their own lighting and magnification. Supplies will be provided, but participants with a crimping tool are encouraged to bring it. Cost: $20, morning only.
• “Country girl” pincushion doll. Finished doll stands about 5 inches and can be used as a pincushion or decoration. Participants should bring a low-temperature hot glue gun, extra glue sticks, scissors, a hand sewing needle and neutral thread. Other supplies provided. Hand-sewing skills are helpful. Cost: $20, afternoon only.